Health Information Technology is an important degree field that contributes to an ever-changing healthcare field. If you have considered IT-based degree programs for your future, this is a great place to settle into a degree program that can set you on track for a career working in healthcare. As most people know, the healthcare field is a tremendous part of society that continues to grow in terms of patient care and technological innovation. Obtaining a degree in Health Information Technology can lead to careers that last a lifetime.
Online MHI in Health Information Technology
Health Information Technology helps integrate knowledge of computer information systems with different areas of the healthcare field. Students that enter into these programs can learn about the different software and programs used by hospitals and other medical facilities, in an effort to provide support within this area. This field focuses on the need for educated and experienced IT professionals that can assist with the storage and protection of patient health data.
Specifically, this program can help students learn more about how different information systems operate, how to develop new and innovative programs for use in the field, and how to manage a group of information specialists within the healthcare domain. Each of these topics is increasingly important to the active functioning of hospitals and medical facilities all over the country.
Online Master of Health Information Technology Programs
The most popular method for obtaining a Master's in Health Information Technology is online. Online master's programs have become increasingly popular since their introduction, mainly due to the flexibility provided to students enrolled.
Most busy adults do not have the capacity to drop a full-time job or attend college at times that they should be tending to a busy family life. Online Master's in Health Information Technology programs are the solution for people that want to advance their career without missing out on the other important aspects of their lives.
Before enrolling in an online MHIT program, students must meet the prerequisite requirements that are set forth by their chosen university. Most colleges require students to have a minimum of a 3.0 GPA from their undergraduate degree program, and hold degrees that are related, or relevant to, the field of Health Information Technology.
Some example bachelor's degrees include those in Biology, Computer Information Systems, Nursing, or Computer Science. If you hold a bachelor's in any of these fields, you may be able to enroll in these online master's programs.
The George Washington University’s (GW) School of Medicine and Health Sciences offers online Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences (BSHS) programs for healthcare professionals, including a BSHS in Clinical Operations and Healthcare Management.
Click for program information.
After You Are Enrolled in a MHIT Program
Once you are in the program, you may be introduced to topics that include both IT and health-related courses. The purpose of this integration is to help you understand the different types of systems that may be used by healthcare organization and why data storage is so important in the healthcare field. Some courses found throughout this program may require students to complete independent research or even indulge in hands on experience.
One example online program for students interested in this degree program can be found at Southern New Hampshire University. This college offers students the opportunity to engage in in-depth learning in topics that can help shape their understanding of the healthcare field and its use of computer information systems. Most students can complete this degree program in around 2 years depending on their enrollment status.
Specific Course List
The curriculum of master’s programs can help shape a student’s knowledge of their desired field. The courses below are those that can be found within MHIT programs across the country. Accreditation agencies review and approve different MHIT programs based on their reliability, pricing, and curriculum. Throughout the accreditation process, universities must constantly provide reliable course work that can help students contribute more to their chosen field. Take a look at some of the courses below.
- Healthcare Informatics: In this course, students can learn how healthcare systems use information systems on a regular basis. The different types of computer information systems used in the healthcare field may be discussed throughout this course, as well as the methods for designing and updating useful systems.
- Advanced Information Technology: This course focuses on the need for new and innovative information systems within the healthcare field. Student taking this course can learn how to analyze, design, and implement information systems in an effort to increase the quality of health delivery. System planning, management, and process design are other topics common within this course.
- Operating Systems: Students that take this course can learn more about operating systems from an inside perspective. Operation hardware, storage, output, and data retrieval are a few topics that you could expect to see throughout this course. Some common operating systems that may be discussed in this course include Windows and UNIX.
- Telecommunications and Networking: In any type of business, telecommunications and networking are vital tools for great management and business practices. In this course, students can learn about how these tools are used to solve problems and increase efficiency within the healthcare system. Hardware, software, and products relevant to telecommunications may also be a large portion of what students review in this course.
- Social and Organizational Issues in Healthcare: In addition to the technology portion of the curriculum, this course can give students a more clear outlook of the social issues and organizational dilemmas that may be present in the healthcare field. Students can learn how to identify issues, provide a plan for solving problems, and how to prevent future mishaps through effective leadership and policy implementation.
Expertise in the field of Health Information Technology can potentially lead to careers within many fascinating organizations. The work that you can do for healthcare agencies goes beyond what can be found in traditional IT paths. As you can see from the few examples below, your responsibility within an organization can change your potential earnings significantly. You are not limited to just these positions, however. There are many different positions in management, development, and research that seek out qualified graduates each year.
- Health Information Technicians: $38,040 on average per year (BLS).
- Computer Systems Analyst: $87,220 on average per year (BLS).
- Database Administrator: $84,950 on average per year (BLS).
List of Programs
Consider a Featured Online Health Administration Program
|School and Program Information||Online Program?||GRE Requirements||Course Information|
Online M.S. in Health Care Management
Curriculum is specifically aligned with AUPHA, CAHME, HLA standards
|Contact admissions representative||20-month, 30-credit online program. Program designed with input of an advisory council comprised of healthcare industry experts using a unique curriculum structure called the Professional Studies Experience (PSE).|
|George Washington University
Online Healthcare MBA
|No GMAT for qualified applicants||Healthcare MBA is designed specifically for those who are interested in the business and leadership aspect of healthcare organizations.|
|George Mason University
Online MHA in Health Systems Management
Program is a mirror image of the CAHME accredited degree offered on campus
|check_circle Online||Contact admissions representative||47 credit hours, evidence-based curriculum. 24 month MHA program with synchronous and asynchronous practicum.|
|George Washington University
Online BSHS & Online MSHS
- Clinical Operations and Healthcare Management
Bachelors and Masters
|Contact admissions representative||Online Master of Science in Health Sciences (MSHS), Graduate Certificates and Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences (BSHS) programs for healthcare professionals.|
Master’s in Health Administration Programs
- Masters in Health Administration
- Masters in Administrative Management
- Masters in Financial Management
- Masters in Hospital HR
- Masters in Hospital Management
- Masters in Health Informatics
- Masters in Health Information Management
- Masters in Health Information Technology
- Masters in Medical Informatics
- Masters in Patient Advocacy
- Masters in Health Services Administration
- Masters in Clinical Nursing
- Masters in Nursing Administration
Top Health Admin Programs
- Online Health Administration Programs
- BHA Programs
- MHA Programs
- MHA No GRE
- DHA Programs
- Medical Informatics
- Health Services Administration
- Clinical Nursing Administration
- Nursing Administration
- Financial Management
- Hospital Human Resources
- Patient Advocacy
- Hospital Management
- Administrative Management
Health Administration Schools by State
Online MHA Programs