Nursing Administration as a concentration can include topics that are relevant to leadership in the field of nursing. While a lot of the curriculum is similar to programs that focus on general health care management, this field was developed in order to give students more of a focus in the field of nursing.
Some topics included in this degree program include those that can teach students how to actively become involved with a registered nursing team, provide training and insight to employees, and protect patient integrity through lawful practice.
As the health care industry continues to grow, so does demand for the next generation of strategic thinkers and leaders. That’s why Ohio University delivers an online Master of Health Administration designed to position mid-career health care professionals for long-range career advancement. The program’s curriculum combines academic theory with practical learning to build upon your current experience. The result is a high-value education that qualifies you to lead in the business of health care. You’re already a seasoned health care professional. Now gain the graduate-level expertise to broaden your impact as a leader in the field. Learn how OHIO’s MHA online can help you do exactly that.
This program differs from Clinical Nursing specializations in that is does not require students to have a license to practice nursing in order to apply. While some joint degree programs provide this degree program for RNs, there are plenty available for health science undergrads that are looking for a way to get more involved in the health care field.
Examples Courses to Expect
Workforce Management in Health Care Organizations
As with any degree program that deals with management, the MHA can provide courses that outline the needs and skills of health care leaders. This course details the different methods of leadership, conflict resolution techniques, human resources rules, and employee hiring methods for upcoming management professionals. With a particular focus on the health care field, this course seeks to help future management professionals better understand their responsibilities.
Practice Issues in Health Care Management
Another important topic that deserves consideration throughout this program is the instance of error and problematic occurrences within the health care field. This course helps to introduce students to some of the common issues that may arise when working with a staff or with the public. Some ethical concerns may be addressed in this course, as well as historical cases of issues within the health care practice. Students that take part in courses such as this one may be able to contribute more to the effective functioning of nursing and health care facilities.
Students interested in pursuing careers in nursing and health care management may be required to take courses that help them analyze the subject matter of health care services. Biostatistics can help introduce students to the analysis process that takes place when determining the prevalence and tendency of diseases in their communities. Students in this course can learn about the different types of data, tools used to analyze this data, and proper methods for reporting results.
Notable Schools Offering MHAs in Nursing Administration
- Saint Josephs College: Students that are interested in providing management and leadership in the field of nursing can enroll in degree programs such as this one offered by SJC. This dual MHA/MSN program requires that students engage in 60 credit hours of graduate level learning in order to receive both the MSN and MHA distinction. In order to be accepted into this program, applicants must already be licensed as a registered nurse and have 2 years of work experience in the field. Course work for this degree program may include courses in general Health Administration and those that focus specifically on advanced nursing.
- Drexel University: This university currently offers a MHA program for students that wish to pursue higher endeavors within the health care field. The general MHA program requires students to complete 45 credit hours of course work within the Health Administration field, which can help set a strong foundation for added specializations. This university also offers a minor in Nursing Leadership in Health Systems Management for students that want to work specifically in the field of nursing. The minor requirement for enrolled students is 12 credit hours. The completion of both programs can take around 2 years for students that are enrolled full-time.
Difference between a MHA in Nursing Administration versus a MSN
The MHA is a degree program that caters to the desires of upcoming health care leaders. While some of the topics can intertwine with those in the MSN program, each has its own place within the health care field. In order to help you gain an understanding of the differences between each program, our team has broken down the differences between these programs below.
The MHA program has a curriculum that is based on the needs of health care management. Topics such as organizational management, financial responsibility, and health care law may be common within these programs. Since this program is based on the needs of effective practice within the health care field, this degree program can apply to different areas of health care, government, and even community services.
The MSN is a more focused degree program that is designed for current RNs. This program teaches some advanced tactics in the field of nursing, as well as including courses that focus on leadership within the field.
Most applicants to the MSN program are current RNs that are looking for advancement within their current field, rather than applicants from other health science degree programs.
Career Outcomes / Day to Day Job Responsibilities for MHA:NA Graduates
With the MHA:NA degree, graduates can seek out careers within hospitals, rehabilitation facilities, and even community health care centers. Providing leadership in the field of nursing can be a fulfilling career option for students that want to be a part of the health care field. While the job roles and responsibilities can vary depending on where you are employed, a lot of the duties consist of the same premise. Take a look below at some of the common duties of professionals within this field.
- Provide leadership to large teams of nurses
- Ensure that employees follow relevant laws and guidelines
- Conduct team meetings and personnel reviews
- Hiring and training new employees