Sorting through different specializations can be a complicated decision for students that are interested in pursuing higher level educational opportunities. Our team of educational experts has reviewed some of the top MHA programs to help students understand more about each concentration option offered through each program.
One of the most popular MHA options for upcoming college students is Nursing Administration. Read more below about what this specialization entails and how you can become a part one of many fascinating degree programs.
Nursing Administration as a concentration can include topics that are relevant to leadership in the field of nursing. While a lot of the curriculum is similar to programs that focus on general health care management, this field was developed in order to give students more of a focus in the field of nursing.
Some topics included in this degree program include those that can teach students how to actively become involved with a registered nursing team, provide training and insight to employees, and protect patient integrity through lawful practice.
The George Washington University’s (GW) School of Medicine and Health Sciences offers online Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences (BSHS) programs for healthcare professionals, including a BSHS in Clinical Operations and Healthcare Management.
Click for program information.
This program differs from Clinical Nursing specializations in that is does not require students to have a license to practice nursing in order to apply. While some joint degree programs provide this degree program for RNs, there are plenty available for health science undergrads that are looking for a way to get more involved in the health care field.
Examples Courses to Expect
Workforce Management in Health Care Organizations
As with any degree program that deals with management, the MHA can provide courses that outline the needs and skills of health care leaders. This course details the different methods of leadership, conflict resolution techniques, human resources rules, and employee hiring methods for upcoming management professionals. With a particular focus on the health care field, this course seeks to help future management professionals better understand their responsibilities.
Practice Issues in Health Care Management
Another important topic that deserves consideration throughout this program is the instance of error and problematic occurrences within the health care field. This course helps to introduce students to some of the common issues that may arise when working with a staff or with the public. Some ethical concerns may be addressed in this course, as well as historical cases of issues within the health care practice. Students that take part in courses such as this one may be able to contribute more to the effective functioning of nursing and health care facilities.
Students interested in pursuing careers in nursing and health care management may be required to take courses that help them analyze the subject matter of health care services. Biostatistics can help introduce students to the analysis process that takes place when determining the prevalence and tendency of diseases in their communities. Students in this course can learn about the different types of data, tools used to analyze this data, and proper methods for reporting results.
Notable Schools Offering MHAs in Nursing Administration
- Saint Josephs College: Students that are interested in providing management and leadership in the field of nursing can enroll in degree programs such as this one offered by SJC. This dual MHA/MSN program requires that students engage in 60 credit hours of graduate level learning in order to receive both the MSN and MHA distinction. In order to be accepted into this program, applicants must already be licensed as a registered nurse and have 2 years of work experience in the field. Course work for this degree program may include courses in general Health Administration and those that focus specifically on advanced nursing.
- Drexel University: This university currently offers a MHA program for students that wish to pursue higher endeavors within the health care field. The general MHA program requires students to complete 45 credit hours of course work within the Health Administration field, which can help set a strong foundation for added specializations. This university also offers a minor in Nursing Leadership in Health Systems Management for students that want to work specifically in the field of nursing. The minor requirement for enrolled students is 12 credit hours. The completion of both programs can take around 2 years for students that are enrolled full-time.
Difference between a MHA in Nursing Administration versus a MSN
The MHA is a degree program that caters to the desires of upcoming health care leaders. While some of the topics can intertwine with those in the MSN program, each has its own place within the health care field. In order to help you gain an understanding of the differences between each program, our team has broken down the differences between these programs below.
The MHA program has a curriculum that is based on the needs of health care management. Topics such as organizational management, financial responsibility, and health care law may be common within these programs. Since this program is based on the needs of effective practice within the health care field, this degree program can apply to different areas of health care, government, and even community services.
The MSN is a more focused degree program that is designed for current RNs. This program teaches some advanced tactics in the field of nursing, as well as including courses that focus on leadership within the field.
Most applicants to the MSN program are current RNs that are looking for advancement within their current field, rather than applicants from other health science degree programs.
Career Outcomes / Day to Day Job Responsibilities for MHA:NA Graduates
With the MHA:NA degree, graduates can seek out careers within hospitals, rehabilitation facilities, and even community health care centers. Providing leadership in the field of nursing can be a fulfilling career option for students that want to be a part of the health care field. While the job roles and responsibilities can vary depending on where you are employed, a lot of the duties consist of the same premise. Take a look below at some of the common duties of professionals within this field.
- Provide leadership to large teams of nurses
- Ensure that employees follow relevant laws and guidelines
- Conduct team meetings and personnel reviews
- Hiring and training new employees
BLS Nursing Administration Career Salaries
- Nursing and Residential Facilities Managers: $80,340 on average per year (BLS).
- Medical and Health Service Managers: $96,540 on average per year (BLS).
List of Programs
Consider a Featured Online Health Administration Program
|School and Program Information||Online Program?||GRE Requirements||Course Information|
Online M.S. in Health Care Management
Curriculum is specifically aligned with AUPHA, CAHME, HLA standards
|Contact admissions representative||20-month, 30-credit online program. Program designed with input of an advisory council comprised of healthcare industry experts using a unique curriculum structure called the Professional Studies Experience (PSE).|
|George Washington University
Online Healthcare MBA
|No GMAT for qualified applicants||Healthcare MBA is designed specifically for those who are interested in the business and leadership aspect of healthcare organizations.|
|George Mason University
Online MHA in Health Systems Management
Program is a mirror image of the CAHME accredited degree offered on campus
|check_circle Online||Contact admissions representative||47 credit hours, evidence-based curriculum. 24 month MHA program with synchronous and asynchronous practicum.|
|George Washington University
Online BSHS & Online MSHS
- Clinical Operations and Healthcare Management
Bachelors and Masters
|Contact admissions representative||Online Master of Science in Health Sciences (MSHS), Graduate Certificates and Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences (BSHS) programs for healthcare professionals.|
Master’s in Health Administration Programs
- Masters in Health Administration
- Masters in Administrative Management
- Masters in Financial Management
- Masters in Hospital HR
- Masters in Hospital Management
- Masters in Medical Informatics
- Masters in Patient Advocacy
- Masters in Health Services Administration
- Masters in Clinical Nursing
- Masters in Nursing Administration
Top Health Admin Programs
- Online Health Administration Programs
- BHA Programs
- MHA Programs
- MHA No GRE
- DHA Programs
- Medical Informatics
- Health Services Administration
- Clinical Nursing Administration
- Nursing Administration
- Financial Management
- Hospital Human Resources
- Patient Advocacy
- Hospital Management
- Administrative Management
Health Administration Schools by State
Online MHA Programs